Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Andrea & Martha starting in Yarn Pr0n

As soon as Dv let it slip that we were going up to the Finger Lakes I started trying to remember which yarn companies are up there. It didn't take long to think of Schaefer Yarn. From the time they said we could stop by I vacillated between fantasizing about all the yarn and worrying about how much I would spend. The business is run out of Cheryl & Erich Schaefer's home and looks no different from the neighbors' save for the employees' cars crowding the driveway. Inside it's clear from first whiff what they are doing. The place is a vinegar scented rainbow. I was given a retail price list and headed in the direction of the wool room (a walk-in closet, complete with cat). The yarns are organized by color or name but not both (make sense? It didn't to me either.). [Dv is watching the latest Harry Potter and I'm being horribly distracted. Does Rita Skeeter make anyone else miss Madeline Kahn? OK, back to the yarn] The only yarn I knew I wanted was Anne, I had a whole list of colors I was hoping for but there was no Anne. A yarn rep was there the day before and had scooped up almost all of it save for a few skeins that were hidden away under a table. So back to the wool closet for more fondling. Eventually I settled on a skein of Andrea in Eleanor Roosevelt and a huge 9oz skein of Martha in Mary Breckinridge. Martha is Schaefer's new yarn made of 80% lambswool, 10% cashmere and 10% dehaired angora. It feels wonderful and looks like it will have very nice stitch definition. Of course I haven't the foggiest idea what to do with it and it is so new they don't have any patterns for it. Oh, crap it's getting late. Damn you Harry Potter! Better cut to the yarn pr0n.

Andrea



Martha

No comments: