Monday, November 20, 2006

right round like a record baby


I found out about the spindle spinning class at Flying Fingers about a week before Rhinebeck. Even though I desperately needed guidance if I was to have any hope of using a spindle successfully I hemmed and hawed over it. Then I saw the fibers and spindles at Rhinebeck. The next day I signed up. I am so glad I did . Anna Upton of Maupston Design Studio taught the class. She clearly loves to spin and teach. The $75 class fee included a box filled with bags of natural colored bluefaced leicester and tussah silk, dyed merino, two bobbins of her own hand spun singles (for the plying lesson), written instructions and knitting needles that we used to convert the box into a lazy kate. She also gave us two silk hankies and some hand-painted bluefaced leicester to play with. The only extra fee was for the spindle. She brought an assortment of Kundert spindles for us to choose from. In three hours she taught 3 drafting techniques, woolen & worsted spinning, plying a balanced yarn and finishing. I left the class so excited that I was spinning in the car later that day. I would write more but that box of fiber is calling to me.

No comments: