Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I'm losing it

I was all set to blog about Barbara Walker's Charted Knitting Designs and how I lucked out and got a hardcover copy of it for $4.50. There's only one teeny-tiny little problem - the book actually cost me $23. Somehow I completely forgot that I spent that much until I was checking my credit card statement. I know I was shopping late one night and my purchases represented a fit of pique on my part but I can't explain the discrepancy between the prices. Maybe I dreamt the bargain price (it wouldn't be the first time I was bargain hunting in my dreams). At least I don't drink and shop. I'd probably be struggling to explain my new mail-order bride to my husband right now if I did. Moving on. The book showed up yesterday and it's fabulous. I could go on and on about all the great designs but I suspect I'd just be preaching to the choir. I have to say I do love that the charts are handwritten. I think the subtle variations help to keep me from going all cross-eyed. The spider at the beginning of the twisted-stitch chapter is so lifelike even its chart is menacing. I need to find a use for it. Maybe on a bag for a spindle? I've already found the cable pattern that I liked in one of Louisa Harding's pattern books. Since it was the only thing in the LH book I would use my new book has saved me about $16 which brings the cost of it down to $4. See the $4.50 price wasn't a crazy dream it was a premonition! Ah, nothing like desperately justifying my lunacy. As long as we are on the subject of lunacy there is one truly special pattern hidden right at the end of the aptly named Uncharted Miscellany chapter. Behold the Mask!
She even includes instructions for adapting it to a ski or halloween mask.

No comments: